Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Savage Worlds Has My Interest

Went out and bought the Savage Worlds (SW) core manual a bit ago and have probably read through it four times now. Each time I read through it I find myself falling more and more in love with it.

Initially I bought it on a bit of a whim after hearing one of my favorite podcasts talk about it regularly +Gamerstable and how flexible it was. Admittedly I was a bit skeptical because they made it sound too easy to use for any scenario you could think of. After reading it I realized they were actually under selling the system a bit.

Core book gives you anything you may need to run a game, obviously it has character build details like just about any other core book would. What it also includes is a wide range of vehicles, monsters, magic, feats etc. It also includes clearly defined rules for creating custom items, vehicles, NPCs, monsters and so on. The way it is put together is very intuitive and logical to my mind.

Being new to DMing I wanted something that was easy for the players and myself to understand, could easily be modified for any occasion and just got everyone playing quickly, this fits those requirements.

So I am know adding and yet another game night specifically for my daughter and her friends to play a zombie scenario game that begins in the town we live in. I am going to have them build themselves with minor modifications and turn them loose on the town. This will make mapping a simple process of printing off Google maps of the area and using local landmarks, businesses and even people they recognize in order to produce moral dilemmas within the game.

Enough typing, back to planning. I just can't say enough about the system at this point and can't wait to see it in actual play.

No comments:

Post a Comment